Many people have trouble falling asleep at night. For people who often have backaches, falling asleep can be extremely difficult. To help prevent or reduce back pain, there are certain sleeping positions that are better than others.
Good Sleeping Positions:
- Sleep in a neutral position. In other words, do not arch your back too much and do not keep it completely flat. If you prefer to sleep on your side, try placing a pillow between your knees. This will help keep your top leg from falling over your bottom leg. If you prefer to sleep on your back, place a pillow under your knees.
- Try to sleep on your back. Research shows that this is the best sleeping position to prevent neck and back pain. Sleeping on your back helps to maintain the neutral position discussed above. This sleeping position also helps to reduce acid reflux and minimize wrinkles.
- The next best sleeping position is on your side. This will help to prevent neck and back pain. Sleeping on your side can benefit your overall health. This sleeping position reduces acid reflux and snoring. By sleeping on your side your spine stays elongated. It’s also the most recommended sleeping position for women during pregnancy.
Bad Sleeping Positions:
- Try not to sleep in the fetal position. This sleeping position is not good for preventing neck and back pain. The fetal position is especially bad if you have an arthritic back or joints.
- The worst sleeping position is the stomach position. If you are trying to avoid neck and back pain, do your best to avoid sleeping on your stomach. This position puts pressure on joints and muscles, which makes it very difficult to maintain a neutral position.
If you are experiencing back pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic to schedule an appointment today!
According to WebMd there are several possible causes of lower back pain that relate to one’s lifestyle. Maintaining a healthy weight is imperative for your health. Carrying around those extra pounds puts added stress on your joints. What can you do today to improve your health? Maybe take a walk for 15 minutes, drink more water, and/or try getting an extra half an hour of sleep.
Cigarette smoking is known to increase the likelihood of lower back pain. Patients with a history of alcohol abuse or depression are four times more likely to suffer from back pain. Are you struggling with managing your emotions? Have you had some setbacks and are having a confidence crisis? Everyone needs help sometime. Do something today to improve your situation. There is no shame in asking for help. Building consistent healthy habits daily impacts how you feel and many times it helps transform other areas of your life. Start one small healthy change and implement it daily. Then slowly start adding to your daily activity to take care of yourself. This study just reiterates another way how having healthy habits impacts your body. What you do daily take care of yourself stay connected with your values helps transform your life.
If you or someone you know is suffering from back pain it is important to get help from a professional. Call Lavanga Chiropractic today.
Getting the right amount of sleep is important to our health. In fact, a lack of adequate sleep over time can lead to a shortened lifespan. In general, adults should get eight ours of sleep per night. Many people believe that the need for sleep declines with age, however this is false. Adults may be able to function with as little as six hours of sleep per night, but it is not recommended.
Sometimes falling asleep can seem impossible. One of the leading causes for sleepless nights can be attributed to your mattress. In a four year-study, more than 16,000 nights of sleep were evaluated on 128 subjects. This study looked at how different support levels of mattresses impacted the following: sleep, pain and daytime functioning. This study by Research Triangle International and Drs. Andy Krystal and Jack Edinger from Duke University, found that even small differences in mattress support (soft, medium, firm) correlated with changes in sleep and pain. The study revealed that mattresses really do matter when it comes to sleep.
Memory foam mattresses have been known to provide advanced comfort and support while sleeping. However, this foam does not breathe well, which means it warms up with more exposure to your body heat. Tempflow is a visco-elastic memory foam mattress that uses patented airflow circulation technology. This technology allows your body heat to ventilate out of the mattress, while cooler air can flow through the layers.
To find out more information about Tempflow, contact Dr. Dan at the Lavanga Group today!
Feet are the foundation of the body. Wearing shoes that don’t give proper support could contribute or even cause lower back pain. To avoid nagging back pain, it’s important to try and find footwear with that have extra cushioning. It may also be helpful to use insoles or inserts to help provide extra support.
One way to avoid back pain is to replace your sneakers when you notice that they aren’t providing enough support. If you run or jog regularly, make sure to invest in a high-quality pair of athletic shoes. By investing in a more supportive shoe, you’ll be able to get more use out of them and benefit from the extra cushioning.
Another shoe that throws off the alignment of the body are high heels. When wearing high heels, you’re not walking in a natural position. This can cause stress and strain on the lower back. It is recommended to wear lower heels when possible. Another way to avoid the strain caused by high heels is to limit the duration you wear them. For example, while walking to-and-from work, wear your sneakers and switch into your heels when you arrive at the office!
Flip-flops are a less supportive shoe that can lead to stress and strain on joints and tendons. In fact, wearing flip-flops for a long period of time can cause arch pain, heel pan, ankle pain or knee pain. Flip flops are ideal shoes for the summer, but if you know you’ll be walking long distances, try to wear your sneakers!
To find out more information about how your shoes can have an impact on your back pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic!
Sometimes getting motivated to exercise feels impossible. If you are struggling to reach your see results, a personal trainer can help you develop the right workout plan to meet your goals! Personal trainers provide endless benefits to your health! Personal training is great for if you need help losing a few pounds, toning your arms, flattening your stomach, learning new exercises, and so on. Seeking out a personal trainer means that you are ready to make a commitment to your health and fitness.
The following are just a few ways personal training can benefit
- Getting started. Half of the struggle is starting to workout. Personal training will help you get started and develop an exercise routine that is tailored to your fitness goals!
- Learn proper technique and form. Personal training allows you to learn how to properly do an exercise. This benefits your health in the long-term and helps to prevent potential injuries.
- Achieve your goals. If you are striving to reach significant fitness goals, personal training will help keep you on track!
If you are interested in personal training, try out a trainer, look for qualifications and style, search online, and ask yourself how well they teach.
Did you know that nearly every top athlete in the US uses chiropractic to stay at the top of their form? Every NFL team and nearly all NBA teams have chiropractors on staff, and Olympica athletes often have team chiropractors to help them maximize their performance and recovery times from injuries.
The science backs up the benefits of chiropractic for treating sports-related injuries. Here’s the latest evidence, straight from the medical literature:
Staying active and fit are key to living a long and healthy life, so don’t let sports injuries slow you down. Chiropractic is a safe and effective way to get back in the game.
People often seek chiropractic care for back pain. About 35% of Americans who visit chiropractors annually seek relief from back pain. However, chiropractors also treat patients suffering from neck pain, headaches, injuries, muscle strains, arthritis and more. Recent studies reveal that chiropractic care may be more effective than medication in relieving neck pain. Chiropractic care also focuses on on-going preventive and wellness care. It promotes overall health and wellness by reducing the stress and irritation of the spinal nerve roots.
Chiropractic care can help reduce pain, improve joint range of motion, and even enhance your quality of life. Chiropractors seek to develop treatment plans for their patients that will optimize their overall health. Instead of resulting to medication for a “quick-fix,” chiropractic care focuses on relieving your pain and developing a plan to prevent similar injuries from occurring. In “Dynamic Chiropractic,” Dr. Charles Masarsky explains that chiropractic care may also have long-term health benefits. He identifies these long-term benefits as, “Retention of lung capacity, improved visual acuity, reaction time and balance, and enhanced cardiovascular health.” Chiropractic care provides both short-term and long-term health benefits. To find out more information about how chiropractic care can benefit your health, contact Lavanga Chiropractic today!
How do we improve how we deal with stress? What is the best way to deal with competing demands? We live in a fast paced world. It is no wonder that with our constant connection to technology and how most of people never unplug that we are feeling overwhelmed. For most people when they are stressed their breath becomes shallow. It is a natural reaction to take shallow breaths during times of stress. The next time you feel overwhelmed and are feeling stressed stop for a moment. Notice how you are breathing. Is it shallow? What are you focusing on? Most likely you are scared of something like missing a deadline at work? What is your body posture like? Are you slumped over? Try radically changing your posture and your breathing. You will want to fully oxygenate your brain with deep breaths and good posture in order to face your challenges. Ask yourself what is it that you want in this moment? What can I do right now to improve this situation? Next time you feel stressed take a deep breath and focus on what you want and then proceed. It may sound simple but this works. To read more about stress management, click here.
For more ideas on dealing with stress contact The Lavanga Group today.
Yoga is often linked to being an exercise for women. However, everyone can benefit from yoga. Those suffering from back, neck, joint, and muscle injuries find that yoga helps reduce their pain. Studies reveal that those who practice yoga twice a week for eight weeks gain strength, flexibility, and endurance. Yoga stretches your muscles and can also help relieve stress.
Try these poses to help minimize back and neck pain…
- Downward-Facing Dog: this pose is an excellent stretch to target your entire body. Try to hold this pose for 5 to 10 breaths, and repeat about five to seven times.
- Child’s Pose: this stretch helps to elongate your back, which can really help you relieve stress. You can repeat this stretch as many times as needed.
- Pigeon Pose: this is a bit more challenging for beginnings, but can be really helpful in stretching hip rotators and flexors.
- Triangle Pose: this is an excellent pose to help you strengthen your back and legs muscles.
- Cat and Cow Pose: If you have an achy, sore back, than this pose is for you! Try to repeat it ten times to get the best results.
- Upward Forward Bend: this pose stretches your hamstrings and back muscles, while also helping to minimize tension in your shoulders.
- Upward-Facing Dog: this stretch engages your back by opening up your chest and stretching your abdominal muscles.
To learn how to properly do these yoga poses visit this site! To find out more information about what exercises can help you relieve your back and neck pain, contact Lavanga Chiropractic!
Taking your vitamins can be beneficial to your health. Although we receive vitamins through the foods we eat, additional supplements can help increase your health. Your diet may not provide all the essential nutrients that your body needs, so taking vitamins can help in a variety of ways. Studies show that vitamins aid in the prevention of diseases such as heart problems, high cholesterol levels, eye disorders, and skin disorders. For vitamins to work effectively, it is important to take them consistently.
Around this time of the year people are more prone to getting colds. Taking Vitamin C regularly can help cure and even prevent the common cold. In fact, research shows that when Vitamin C is taken daily, the length of a cold for an adult decreases by 8% and children who take the supplement daily shorten their cold duration by 14%. Another supplement that is known to increase your brain health is DHA, otherwise known as omega-3. Fatty fish contain omega-3 that can help improve overall health. Studies have shown that DHA can help slow cognitive decline and help improve your memory. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish like salmon, albacore tuna, lake trout, and catfish at least twice a week. If you know your diet lacks these fatty fish, try taking fish oil supplements to get the necessary amount of omega-3.
The types of vitamins you need vary from person to person. To find out what types of vitamins will best benefit you, contact the Lavanga Group today!